Treschietto Castle in Lunigiana

» Posted

Ttuscany-castleIt used to be accessible only by mule tracks and surrounded by the river Acquetta to the west, Bagnone to the south and the Tanagorda to the northeast. Its importance was attached to its location, a required passage between rivers and valleys. The urban area is divided into five well-defined nuclei: the castle, the Church, Querceto, Palestro and Valle. Until 1950, the year of opening of today’s state road, the village has been virtually inaccessible.
Treschietto was a dominion of the Marquises Malaspina of the Spino Fiorito of Filattiera. Following a will of 1351, the castle passed to Giovanni Malaspina called the Berretta, who built the castle and used it as his main residence. In 1698 the Marquis Ferdinand, the last of the dynasty, sold his fief to the Grand Duke Cosimo the Third. After various vicissitudes Treschietto with its territory was ceded to the Prince Corsini of Florence, in 1800 it was occupied by the French and in 1814 joined the Estensi States of Lunigiana. It was finally annexed to the municipality of Bagnone.
The ruins of the castle are only accessible from the north-east and are made up of what remains of the square walls topped by the slender round tower. The latter was halved by a lightning and was once crowned with battlements and defense a structure with corbels. The resemblance to the tall towers of Malgrate and Comano, both Malaspina castles, is so astonishing that we can assume the workers used in their construction were the same. Very little is left of the internal buildings. The Castrensian chapel was covered by the debris of collapsed defense structures. The complex is now invaded bu vegetation and at continuous risk of further structural collapse.
A dark side is hidden behind the history of the castle. The legend tells the story of a local evil lord, the Marquis Giovanni Gasparro Malaspina that from 1616 onwards harassed his subjects with all kinds of evil actions and was responsible for all sorts of wrong doings until 1678, so much that he came to be known as “the monster”. At the age of 62 years, with great relief of his subjects, he died. Another legend has arrived to these days narrating the story that in the basement of the castle is hidden a golden calf. It has been sought by many to the point of destroying the best parts of the castle. As it figures, the calf of gold has never been found.

Getting to the castle of Treschietto:


View Treschietto Castle in Tuscany Lunigiana in a larger map